Confirmation Bias

 EOTO Presentations: Confirmation Bias

    During the second round of our class EOTO presentations, I had the pleasure of researching the "confirmation bias" theory, a theory which I feel as though I used to practice quite often without conscience or mindfulness of. In this theory, a confirmation bias is a type of cognitive bias that involves information that confirms your previously existing beliefs or biases. Alongside this, confirmation biases impact how we gather information, but they also influence how we interpret and recall information. From my research, I feel that the effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply rooted current or previous beliefs or biases. And even though none of us want to admit it, we've all experienced, at some point in our life, a confirmation bias of beliefs.


    When I say I actually had no clue I did this, I genuinely mean I was completely unaware that I have practiced this idea and theory of confirming my beliefs in a confirmation bias. Mainly due to my family and friends around me, the way I have been raised and who I've considered my friends, it is easy to develop a confirmation bias regardless of the subject at hand or the topic discussed. When people want a certain idea or belief to be true, they are motivated by wishful thinking and will do/believe anything to that confirms that belief, even if it could essentially be debunked by a lie. Once that person has formed a view, we embrace information that confirms that view while ignoring, or rejecting, information that casts doubt on it or that would cause us to change our minds. The confirmation bias theory suggests that we don’t perceive circumstances objectively, we only perceive them as we wish to believe them. We pick out those bits of information that make us feel good because they confirm our beliefs. And in this case, we may become prisoners of our assumptions. 

For example, confirmation biases can almost immediately be seen with any situation in regards to American Politics. Those eligible to vote, and even younger audiences, only seek information that "backs" their favorite candidate. Often times, most people refuse to be objective to the opposing party in which they favor and won't even consider the beliefs or aspirations of another candidate. Honestly, I cannot deny the fact and say that I haven't been there a time or two... however, as I have gotten older, I've learned to value my growth in becoming a woman and determine my own personal beliefs. Not the beliefs of my parents, siblings, friends, or even strangers I may come in contact with simply because it's important to be open-minded in every situation. By not seeking out objective facts, interpreting information in a way that only supports their existing beliefs, and only remembering details that uphold these beliefs, they often miss important information. I no longer need to rely on the influences of my family or peers, rather I am confident in making decisions for myself and what I believe is to be right and just. The confirmation bias theory occurs almost everyday in our lives, and it is so important to realize that we must learn to differentiate our opinions from facts. To learn everything about a given situation before immediately forming our own, biased opinions. Being able to stay open-minded and objective through any situations in life will always help us lead to what we believe is right and true. 


Sources: 

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-a-confirmation-bias-2795024




Comments